Introducing...The Parking Meter Master

Tuesday, December 09, 2008
Posted by Matt

Well, it has been a while since I posted, so I figured I'd just give a general update on me and what I've been up to. With the recent economic developments, my chances at getting hired with the Cincinnati Police have been quashed. The city has made public that they will not be taking on a 2009 police recruit class, and have even threatened to lay off the current 2008 class if some major money isn't found soon. I have been thanking my lucky stars that I have a really good (and fairly secure) job with the city right now. Our department makes copious amounts of money for the city and county, and although privatization is always a buzzword in the office, the chances of a lay-off are pretty slim, and at least there are 3 people below me on the seniority ladder. With a possible city-wide hiring freeze looming, it will probably stay that way.

With that being said, my job as a Parking Enforcement Officer is not a "rewarding career" in most common definitions of the phrase. Let me think out loud here, and give you some pro's and con's...

Pro's:
Good salary
Freedom to work on my own without too much oversite
Work outside
Good uniforms/equipment provided
New technology being implemented

Cons:
The public perception
Work outside (LOL)

OK, at least the pro's outweigh the con's. Now let me quote a few lines that I hear on almost a daily basis...

"That's my car!"
"I'm coming!"
"NO, NO, NO!"
"PLEASE!!!???" (Sometimes said between sobs)
"I'm getting a ticket!" (Said into a cell phone)
"It's only been expired for a minute!"
"It just expired!"
"That's mean!"
"You're mean!"
"You're heartless!"
"You're an (insert relevent explative here)!!"
"Get a real job!"
"This is why I don't come downtown!"
"His meter's expired too!" (While pointing at another car)
"Aren't you going to give him a ticket too?!" (While pointing at another car)
"Don't you have anything better to do?!"

Something I just heard for the first time this week...
"Have some Christmas spirit!"

And, the number one thing I hear on a daily basis (sometimes from the same people who quoted a phrase from the above list)...
"How can I get your job?"

5 comments:

sarah said...

Sounds like your job can be a bit thankless, but I'm glad you're not trapped in a basement behind a desk anymore. And I'm glad you're making money for the city!

Pam said...

I'm sure it's tough hearing those comments on a daily basis directed at you. But it's good the pro's outweigh the con's. Keep up the good work.

Susan said...

Great post. You should write more often!

Candy said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MATT!!

Stan and Candy

Laurie said...

I agree with Susan--you should write more often. Have you come up with any come=backs? Professional, of course, but it would give you something to think about. And, in the pro list, you forgot to mention all the exercise--keep your butt from getting big! And Happy Birthday (oops--and I usually don't miss those....)