The Criminal Mind...Not Exactly A Steel Trap...

Monday, August 21, 2006
Posted by Matt

Had a couple of funny stories from work...bear with me, they are short.

1) Officers are talking with a guy...they tell me to check him for local warrants, the name he gives is Mark Smith, date of birth 10-1-86 (names and DOB's changed to protect the guilty...I mean innocent). Well what do you know, he's got a warrant! I tell the officer on scene that he has a warrant, and they say that he'll be in custody. A few minutes later, they tell me to check Mike Smith, date of birth 5-7-84...what do you know, he's got a warrant too, so I tell them about it. Turns out, the guy is really Mike Smith, he gave his brother Mark's name and DOB because he knew he had a warrant, he didn't know his brother had one as well. Now he'll be charged with giving a false name too. HA!

2) I get a call from a bordering county to check local warrants on a guy named Tim Snyder, 9-3-82. Since there are a few ways of spelling Snyder and I wasn't busy, I spend some time digging to make sure he isn't wanted. I find a warrant for Tim Snider, 3-9-82. That seems like too much of a coincidence, and sure enough he was giving (slightly) false information. He's taken into custody, and also charged with giving a false name.

Moral of these stories...if you know you have a warrant, be a man and fess up to it, and if you are going to give false information, spend a little bit of time thinking about it...we are smarter than you give us credit for.

2 comments:

sarah said...

Why wouldn't you just make up something totally different??? These people sounds like idiots, but a least they make your job entertaining!

Anonymous said...

Gosh, the "Smith" family must be so proud of their two sons... HA!

Love these stories, Matt. Keep them coming!