English 101

Saturday, February 11, 2006
Posted by Katie

Today I attended my day first English class. I really liked my professor, although she is hard nosed. She teaches 6 days a week at 2 colleges. If you are 10 minutes or more late to class you are marked as absent. If you miss 2 classes your final grade is dropped by a whole letter. If you miss 3 classes, you fail. Ironically, this is probably the best situation I could be in, because I have such a horrible lack of commitment to most things. This will force me to get up on Saturday mornings and get going. My first assignment is to write a 2 page personal narrative about an event in my life. I get the impression that she feels that writing about a small event is actually more interesting than writing about a major event. So, there goes the whole Iraq story. If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to post a comment. Keep in mind that these stories will be peer edited by at least 3 other people in class, so I probably don't want it to be about too personal of an experience.

3 comments:

Project Man said...

Science Fairs, Parades, Festivals, Boot Camp, 1st Car ~ Favorite Car, Driving to Penn State for the weekend then showing Dad pictures with your car (you remember don't you?), Midnight Football League, 4H @ the County Fair........

Anonymous said...

Don't forget--writing about Iraq doesn't have to mean you do a comprehensive summary of your entire experience there.

Try to think of one specific event/incident/day/whatever from Iraq and then somehow link it to a larger personal story or truth or whatever the assignment requires.

I think THAT could be extremely interesting.

And P.S. Man, I wish I could still take English classes! Sigh.

kevin said...

I like Susan's idea.