The Bean - Week 28

Sunday, November 23, 2008
Posted by Katie

Fetal development in pregnancy week 28: fetus in seventh month

You know how you’ve been feeling a bit like a barn with legs? Well, that feeling won’t subside before… well, you know, when you finally give birth. For the time being, you’ve got yourself a baby in the business of collecting fat and lots of it! In spite of the dubious joys of being a human-barn, this baby fat business is very serious and you’ve got to put up with it because it’s going to keep your little porker warm and healthy after birth. Other good stuff from inside: her eyes are doing lots of blinking this week because they’re now able to respond to light and dark. Also, her industrious little bone marrow is now a major construction site for developing red blood cells, while her super-cute adrenal glands are actually producing androgen and estrogen—which will stimulate your hormones to begin milk production. Can you say, “Moo?”

*******

In other baby news, Matt and I have chosen a baby name, but we (Matt) has decided to keep it a secret until delivery. Everyone loved it so much when we did it last time that we (Matt) decided we (Matt) wanted to do it again.

I also have my 1 hour gestational diabetes test tomorrow (Monday). Everyone send me good insulin thoughts. I really have a feeling I'm gonna fail this one. My doctor uses stricter pass/fail criteria than my old doctor and I would have failed with Casey based on the new guidelines. If I do fail I will have to do a 3 hour fasting test. I don't even mind the 4 blood draws with the 3 hour test, it's just that I hate not eating for half the day while pregnant. Talk about torture.

My one bright spot at this point is that I have not gained ANY weight in the past 5 weeks, so hopefully all this worrying will be for nothing. I'll report back when I know more. Part of me hopes I get my test results before our trip to PA for my reunion next weekend, but part of me wants to be oblivious at Thanksgiving so I can just eat to my heart's content. That is the best part about being pregnant for me.

Katie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How'd the testing go?

Candy said...

Who thought it would be fun last time to keep the name "quiet".

NOT ME!!