Why did I even get up...

Sunday, October 14, 2007
Posted by Katie

I had to get up, Casey told me so.

Casey has recently started fighting me to go to bed at night and wakeing up ceremoniously at 5 am, ready to start his day...grr.

Last night he fell asleep in his carseat on the way home from Mom's (Nonny's) house. I had the foresight to put a clean diaper on him and put him in his pajamas before he left, so I just carried him right in and placed him in bed around 9:30. He didn't wake up...score 1 for Mommy!

Around 4:09 am I woke to chirping on the baby monitor. I flipped the switch to enable camera mode and found Casey in his trademark position, laying on his back, eating his blanket. This was a clear signal he would not be soothing himself back to sleep. I resigned to the fact I would need to go get him up.

Without speaking to him, I snatched him from his crib and plopped us in the rocking chair. Casey proceeded to lay still in my arms, cooing, staring straight at me for the next 45 minutes. I don't think he even blinked, let alone closed his eyes. I decided to pull out the heavy artillery and I made him a bottle. He drank drowsily and quickly drifted back to sleep around 5:30 am.

Cut to 7:13 am. I am jolted awake by a noise that I can only describe as my 2nd floor spare bedroom collapsing through the first floor. I scared me so badly that I had to sit in bed and collect myself before acting. First I checked the monitor...Casey was sleeping soundly. Then I switched on the light and headed to check out the damage. It was significantly less impressive than house collapse. A shelf that has been hanging on the wall for over 3 years had crashed down onto a wooden bookshelf that was directly below it. Various books, and knickknacks were scattered around the room. I turned the light off, shut the door, and decided that spare bedrooms were overrated.

Back to bed...or so I thought. My senses were now heightened and I wasn't drifting back to sleep. I checked the monitor and Casey was in the same position he was the last time I looked. So, I stared at the monitor for another 5 minutes and he never moved. My mind started reeling. Had god sent me a message by throwing shelves off my walls? Was Casey breathing?

I rushed downstairs and gently jostled Casey...he moved...shit...well not shit, but I didn't want him to wake-up. It was quite the Pyrrhic victory. Casey was alive, but I was wide awake.

I tried to catch a few Zzzs in the recliner, but Valentine kept licking my feet. Casey woke up around 8:30 all smiles. I guess babies do not need UNINTERRUPTED sleep.

As if my last 12 hours had not been bad enough, I decided to tempt fate and feed Casey prunes. WHAT WAS I THINKING? Purred prunes are approximately the color of blood stained mud. Casey loves them though. By the time we were done, his highchair looked like one of those Lysol commercials where they try to simulate how germs spread.

I hope my day gets better. The Bengals play Kansas city today. I'm currently undecided about whether I should even watch.

3 comments:

sarah said...

I hope Casey goes back to sleeping better soon!

Tricia said...

What a riot!! Thanks for the laughs...motherhood...these days come and go all too often ;)

Anonymous said...

Dude, turn off the baby monitor. That way you aren't awakened by chirps and other pre-waking sounds. It buys you a few more minutes of sleep, precious sleep. And when Casey REALLY needs/wants you -- you'll know it.

That's what I did, even though Steve protested. I just took that (*&T%&*%$*%*&^ monitor apart and hid it. I still am not sure where the heck it is. Anyway, I got more sleep that way, and Katie was fine unmonitored (even as young as Casey is).

Just my $.02 from PA. :-D