What a Difference a Week Makes

Tuesday, April 24, 2007
Posted by Katie

Casey and I have had a rough go of it. Well, mostly it's just me. The weekend after we got out of the hospital I took a downward turn. I had an impacted bowel and was working through it when Saturday night I realized that I no longer was able to pee. So, in the middle of the night I called Sarah and she took we me to the ER. They gave me a foley catheter and drained 2 Liters (this is a lot by the way) of urine out of my bladder and sent me home with the catheter still inserted and taped to my leg. They also found an infection on my episiotomy after I coerced them into checking the incision.

Monday morning I went to the doctor (a new lady in the practice that I had never seen) and she said that I actually had an abscess along my incision and that I needed high doses of antibiotics. So, she readmitted me to the hospital to get iv antibiotics. The catch was that Casey was able to come with me but he was not readmitted so he needed to have a chaperone at all times. Sarah, Mom, Matt and Gran all took turns.

While in the hospital they got my bowels working again and took really good care of me. They hospital nurses were fantastic on both my visits. I cannot say enough how wonderful they are.

Last Wednesday, after 48 hours in the hospital, I got to come home for the second time and have slowly gotten back to normal. Mom and Gran each took turns watching Casey overnight this past weekend so Matt and I could get some much needed alone time and sleep...mostly sleep.

Also, Matt got some good news. He no longer has to go to school on May 4th. He will still be deploying with the unit, but he will be working with the medical group. This is good for him because it puts him back into a job that he actually signed up for, and it's safer than the combat engineer job. This is GREAT for us as a family because it gives us a few more weeks of continuity as a family before Matt leaves.

On the whole I am doing ok. I look pretty good so it's sort of misleading as to how well I am really doing. I can get out and about for a short amount of time, but cannot go for long before getting worn out.

Thanks to everyone for checking in on us and keeping us in your thoughts!

P.S. Casey is changing each day...we will get some new pics up here soon!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear things are getting better!
Melissa and Maddie

Candy said...

Oh Katie, time heals, and so will your body.

Take care and we will be there soon to give you our TLC too!

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm so glad I didn't post a nagging "Where's an update? Where are some pics?" comment. I had no idea this was going on. Gosh, I hope you continue to be on the mend. Taking care of an infant is enough even without what you're going through!

That's definitely great news about Matt's change of plans. I know all of you must be thrilled to have the extra time together.

Kathy said...

Katie, Kevin kept us informed and I am so glad that you are home now. Take it slow and give your body time to heal. Good news about Matt. We are happy for you.

Candy said...

WE WANT PICTURES PLEASE!!!!!

Candy said...

WE ASKED, WE RECEIVED!!!!!

Thank you Matt and Katie and Casey for the great DVD, that little man is so very cute and sweet, I am so ready to get my hands on him!

Keep those DVD's coming.