20 week ultrasound

Wednesday, December 06, 2006
Posted by Katie

For those of you who don't obsess over baby books all day long, the 20 week ultrasound is done to measure all the important parts on the baby to make sure they are developing properly. We had ours Monday night. Mom went with Matt and I to the appointment and she got to see little boy Hulme swimming around. He is currently situated in a breach position (feet down, head up). This is perfectly normal, babies move around a lot and tend to flip as you get close to delivery. He is about 10 or 11 inches long and weighs almost a pound. He had everything that he was supposed to have and in the right quantities. This is always a good sign. He was sitting with his back towards us, so she really had to dig the probe into my belly to measure certain things. I about asked her if she wanted me to flip over so she could go at it from the other side. She probably wouldn't have appreciated this comment so I kept my mouth shut.

This could be my last Dr. ordered ultrasound, but I am hoping to go on my own to Becoming Mom Spa for a 3D ultrasound in February. I think this will be a truly priceless experience. When I told Matt about it, his response was, "I don't get the point of going to see what the baby looks like right before you shoot it out!" I was touched by his sentimentality. Nonetheless, I think I still want to go do it.

Mom and I saw the Dr after my ultrasound, Matt had to leave for work, and he was in a good mood. I told him of my travel plans to Vegas for Christmas and he said to have fun. I have to go back on 1/3 for another boring visit, and then get to do another gestational diabetes test 4 weeks after that. Hopefully I will pass that one (I had one at 12 weeks I passed) and it will be my last one.

That's it for now. Check out the pics.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like everything is going well--congrats!

FWIW, Steve had the very same reaction to the notion of a 3D ultrasound--especially since you have to pay for it.

We didn't end up doing it, though, largely because we ended up getting a ton of "free" 2D ultrasounds due to a potential complication that turned out to be nothing.

Project Man said...

Wow Kate ~ incredible. How cool to be able to do all this. Let us know how the 3D battle progresses! lol